Enbridge: Force Majeure Still On Six Gas Pipelines
September 15, 2008
Six of Enbridge Inc.'s (ENB) natural gas pipelines in the U.S. Gulf remain shut in and under force majeure after Hurricanes Gustav and Ike barreled through the region, the company said Monday.
Late last week, the Calgary-based firm declared force majeure on the UTOS, Stingray, Garden Banks, Manta Ray, Nautilus and Mississippi Canyon pipelines on the Louisiana coast as Ike approached. Force majeure allows companies to depart from contract terms in the event of a natural disaster.
"We're currently in assessment like everybody else...and we don't really have any projections (for resuming pipeline operations) that we can share at this point," said Bill Stephens, a spokesman for the firm's Houston-based U.S. operations. "Just getting into some of the areas is a challenge."
Several of the pipelines were only just returning to normal after Hurricane Gustav struck at the end of August, he added.
Enbridge has part interests in the six lines, as well as the Destin pipeline on the Mississippi coast. All seven systems move about 3 billion cubic feet a day on average, or 40% of all deepwater Gulf of Mexico natural gas output, according to Enbridge's Web site.
Source: Dow Jones Newswires
Engineering News Archive